Five main tips for IP protection & enforcement in UAE.
The UAE has been taking steps to strengthen its intellectual property regime and has implemented strict laws to protect IP rights. IP reform was also part of the significant 50th anniversary legislative changes in 2022 – the largest legal reforms in the country’s history.
However, IP enforcement remains a challenge, especially in regards to copyright infringement, trademark counterfeiting, and trade secret misappropriation. Here are five tips for rights holders to increase their chances of successfully enforcing their #IP rights in the UAE.
- Register your intellectual property: One of the most important steps in protecting intellectual property in the UAE is to register. This includes registering trademarks, patents, and copyrights. This will give you the legal standing to take action against any infringement of your intellectual property rights.
We usually say to our clients, registration is always a good idea!
- Conduct regular monitoring: #IP rights are private rights and the onus to enforce lies with the rights holder. It’s important to keep an eye on the market and regularly monitor for any potential infringement of your rights. Vigilance is critical! We do this for our clients by conducting online searches (we use specialised softwares for this), visiting trade fairs and exhibitions, and keeping an eye on social media platforms.
- Take prompt action: If you suspect that your #IP rights have been infringed upon, it’s important to take prompt action. This includes contacting the infringer, sending a cease-and-desist letter, and, if necessary, taking legal action to stop the infringement and seek damages. The beauty is, we can do all this on your behalf.
- Use Customs recordation: The UAE Customs has a recordation system that allows rights holders to record their IP rights with Customs for the purpose of border enforcement. You can learn more on Dubai Customs here. This system allows customs to seize infringing goods at the border, before they enter the UAE market. Again, this is very critical.
- Seek professional help: Intellectual property enforcement can be complex, and it’s important to seek the help of professionals if you suspect that your rights have been infringed upon. This includes hiring a professional experienced in intellectual property protection and enforcement.
At PalladiumIP, your IP is our commitment and our role is to walk with our clients through their IP journey.